Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fraser Island - Sharks, Dingos and Snakes .... Oh My!!!!

I just got back yesterday from my 3 day tour of Fraser Island (The World's Biggest Sand Island). The weather was spectacular. Our tour guide said it was the best 3 days in the row they've had all summer. Can't complain there. I was a bit worried as we loaded up (crammed) into the Land Cruiser. There were 4 couples, and then myself and a Belgian girl. But it was a good mix of people and everyone had a good time. The drive up was brutal with no legroom at all. My fanny killed by the time we got to Fraser Island, so I got out to stretch it (FYI - Aussies call fanny the other end of a girl .... resulted in many fanny jokes).

Day one was spent at a secluded lake called Lake Wabby. The lake was created when a dune choked a creek. The water was very nice, and we spent the time throwing balls around and swimming in the water. We then walked the 30 minutes back to the beach along the sand dune and saw several dingos. On the way home we came across a snake on the beach. It was a venomous sea snake. As if snakes on the land aren't bad enough, this was one that spends its time in the ocean. Getting a bite from this snake would kill you in 90 seconds.

As it was so clear that night, we headed out to the beach in the pitch black and I saw the most spectacular night sky I have ever seen. The stars, and planets were glowing like never before, and was even able to spot the "Southern Cross". Our tour guide also found us some crazy jellyfish that you can rub over yourself and it makes you glow in the dark! Sleeping wasn't fun. The mattress I was on was worse than any cot I have ever slept on. I think there were metal spikes sticking into me. My roommates said I was talking in my sleep that night, but I think it was me waking up and cursing about how much pain I was in.

On Day 2, we travelled up the East Coast for the whole day. We began at Rainbow Gorge to look at different coloured sands ..... kinda reminded me of my job in the Outback. Also got to do some more Sand dune climbing, jumping, skiing, and running. Very fun. Kept my camera alive by not getting sand in it. Then stopped off at an ancient shipwreck (The Maheno). Then up to Indian Head, a lookout that allows you to spot sharks swimming below you (Picture above). No one is allowed to swim in the ocean at Fraser Island because there are so many sharks. I spotted about 10 to 15 swimming beneath us at Indian Head. The final stop of the day was at Eli Creek. You hike up to the start, and then enter the creek and float your way down. We spent a few hours there, again kicking, and throwing footy and soccer balls around. For dinner that night we had a Mexican buffet. So unbelievably good, but resulted in a bad following day for some people.

The final day we headed inland for a jungle experience. We got some real sweet 4wdriving. Everyone was impressed at my ability to sleep in a car. Even when my neck is swinging like a bungy cord and head banging off the glass. It may have just been that I got knocked out by hitting my head. We stopped off at a few more amazing lakes. One had the whitest sand I'd ever seen. I couldn't open my eyes without wearing my sunglasses. Our tour guide would take the snorkel into the lake and kept coming back with turtles. It was awesome. It was quite a fun time. Definitely worth it.
Check out the photos.

Am now chillaxing at the Brisbane Airport waiting for my flight to Cairns (aussies pronounce it "Cans"). It is the most touristy access to the Great Barrier Reef. I'm going to be there for 8 nights.

No comments: