Friday, November 23, 2007

Out with the Old, In with the Nucleus

Because my field hat wasn't fitting me anymore, and because I'm heading back to Meekatharra on Monday, I decided to get a small trim at the barber shop. Small meaning first haircut since early July. It's nice to have the shorter hair in the summer here, however, my ears and neck have yet to be exposed to this powerful sun (UV index = 11 .... and I thought it ended at 10). It was a refreshing change as we are now getting temps in the mid 30's in Perth. It's still a month away from summer!

In other exciting news..... a couple nights ago I came across the first hockey I've seen here. Some blokes were playing on a patio down at Cottesloe Beach. They were using those plastic fruit baskets as nets. I asked them where I could find a hockey stick, and it turns out that one of them works at the only store you can buy them at. I will have to make the trip to find that store....

Also, while talking to those hockey guys, I met my first American in Perth. Which is a little strange as I've probably run into about 20 Canadians etc here. The story goes: They asked why I was interested in hockey, and I said, "well I'm Canadian". They point to the girl who was watching them "so is she!!!!". I ask her "Really, where are you from?". "I'm actually from the US, but people think it's cooler if I say I'm from Canada" .... too funny.

I subbed in for a beach volleyball team last night. In my entire life, I've never played people more inept at volleyball than the team we played against. One woman would basically just throw her arms into the air and hope she hit it. One of the dudes would bump the ball like he was trying to lift an oversized box. There poor performance actually rubbed off on our team, and we narrowly beat them. I think there was one rally where the ball went over the net 4 times.

No comments: