Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Race That Stops A Nation

Today was Melbourne Cup day!!! You might think "horse race? who the heck cares about that?". Well, I will tell you that EVERY SINGLE AUSTRALIAN does. I'm not really sure there is anything to compare it to back home. There is the same buzz in the air that you would have when Canada plays in the Olympic Golf Medal game, but this happens every year. The amount of work done on this day would probably be equivalent to the work done on Christmas. People are more focussed on how they can get the fanciest hat or which hand to use to drink champagne and which to use to cheer.
Me pulling out my picks from a sample bag
Our office had conducted a pool, and I ended up with three horses #13 Lazer Sharp, #22 Eskimo Queen, and #23 Princess Coup. I had high hopes for my Eskimo and my Princess. Also thought the 23 would be lucky for me!


Most offices have a big catered Melbourne Cup party / lunch. But not ours. 3 of us just ended up going to a co-workers house, broke out the champagne/hats and cheered on the race. A rather surprising win by Efficient upset a lot of people who went with the favourites Purple Moon, and Master O'Reilly.

This was the jockey of Princess Coup ... no wonder why he lost

Other good horse names were: Dolphin Jo and Blutigeroo. Maybe Better will maybe be better next time as he pulled up lame. The race had a bit of a french flare to it as one horse was named On A Jeune = They Have Young Person. Princess Coup can also be translated to Princess Blow .... which is exactly how Princess performed in the race today.

Me sad that my horses lost ... also wearing a rather Mexican looking hat

Well another Truly Australian Moment can be crossed off the list. Also, should be noted that I finally threw some "'Shrimp on the Barbie'' on Saturday. What will be next? Maybe a little tossing of the boomerang? or how about Christmas on the beach? ..... heading to Meeka again tomorrow for 10 days. Back Nov 16. Before heading to Rottnest Island for a couple days. I will try to get online at some point in Meeka, but no guarantees. I do have some good news. My 7am flight tomorrow was delayed til 11 .... wahoo .... sleep in time!

No comments: