Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rottnest Weekend!

Fresh from 10 days in the Outback, I headed 20km west from the coast to Rottnest Island "Rotto". I went with 8 others .... with me being the "9th Wheel". If there is such a thing. Anyway, keeping things simple.... Rotto is the GREATEST place I have ever been in my entire life. Why you ask (click for PHOTOS!!!):
  • No cars anywhere (except for a few buses) ... so you have to bike everywhere. The island is about 10 km long, and about 4-5 km wide. Jacques and I had a great time.
  • The beaches and coves and bays were EXTRAORDINARY!!!!! The beaches in Maui bow down to these things. They were absolutely breathtaking. And there were hundreds of them. You could go to popular ones, wavey ones, coral rich ones, secluded ones .... any beach possible.
  • Did someone say Quokkas!!!! These little mini kangaroos sort of look like big rats that hop. But they are the CUTEST things I have ever seen in my entire life!

Some other big highlights of the trip:

  • I headed off early and took the train downtown and caught up with the group at the Jetty in the perth for the start of the cruise.
  • Everyone brought there bikes and we spent a lot of the time riding around, causing trouble, running quokkas/children off the road. We called ourselves the BMX Bandits. After a Nicole Kidman movie from 1983.
  • Crazy drunk/drugged Irish guy did backflips off the dock with his Irish girly. They then brought out the old drunk guys to jump into the water as well. It was good times. Check out the pics.
  • Was in the water at Parker Point when we looked onto the beach to see a blonde using a Canadian Flag Towel to cover her chest as she took off her top. I've never been so proud of my country. I instantly broke into "Oh Canada" and tears poured from my eyes.
  • I had a quokka practically climb up onto my lap.... I just about cried because it was so damn cute.
  • Irish girly made a visit to our cabin .... at 3am!!!! that was after the party next door had broken up. I woke up at 2am to "We are the Champions!!!" ... I of course broke out into song with them. There were also a lot of "F" this and "F" that. Anyhow, the Irish girly wanted to sleep in our cabin on the couch.... which would have meant she was sleeping with me!!!!
  • There were 6 beds in the cabin, 9 people. We tried the old "tallest people can't sleep on cotts" ... I even brought out my horror story of being trapped in a cott that closed on me for 3 hours. Anyway, we had a draw .... and the 3 tallest guys got the cotts!!!! Yeah, 1 was sleeping in the kitchen, the other in the hall, and me in the living room. I still have bruises in my hips and lower back.
  • The BMX Bandits (minus 2) rolled off the boat in Fremantle (we decided not to go to perth) and we hit the road. It was great, this time instead of running quokkas/children off the road, cars/trains were running us off the road!!!!

Anyhoo .... It was a great great great great weekend. Now some sleep .... in a normal bed!!!

A freight in Freo

The BMX Bandits

Parker Point

Thomson Bay

Crazy Irish Guy Jumping into the water

This guy was on more than just alcohol ... this was taken seconds after he tried to kick our volleyball. The only thing he did kick, was his own ass.

Quokka on the run!

Oh my god!!!!! CUTEST PHOTO EVER!!!!. The quokka practically was jumping on my lap. He was my soulmate!

Secluded Cabin near a salt lake

Carl diving into "The Basin"

3 of the 9 BMX Bandits ... Sam, me and Holly

No comments: