Saturday, February 23, 2008

Adelaide-hee-hoo!!!!!!

I had a comfortable flight from Perth to Adelaide thanks to the Virgin Blue guy for putting me in the Emergency Exit seat. I spent the flight worrying that it was my responsibility to save everyone in the event of an accident, but I did so with extra leg room. Oh yah. When I arrived, Adelaide was cold, wet, and very very windy. I thought this was the middle of summer?

Adelaide has a nice charm to it. The downtown is built with parklands completely surrounding it. The River Torrens rages (note below picture), through the centre. The thing that amazed me most so far is that I've had cars stop, not once, or twice, but thrice!!!! for me to cross the street. I think that happened two times in my 6 months in Perth. Nice to be around polite people that aren't trying to run me over!


A friend I met in Perth, Tom, has his parents (The Woolrych's) in Adelaide. They have been kind enough to let me stay at their place for the first couple of days, and they showed me around on Saturday. On Friday night, it was party at the local pub, and then one of their friends took me to the CBD for some fun at the Belgian Beer Cafe (that has a good ring to it). I got arrested!!!! But that was a good thing ;)



As mentioned, the Woolrych's took me around to some of the city sights. I went to the markets where I saw fruits and vegetables for absurd prices. Red peppers for $2/kg. In Perth they were $14!!!!!! I could live here just for the fruit. Also headed to Glenelg Beach (above photo), but it's still quite chilly (22C), and stormy, so the beach was not looking it's best. Since Adelaide is fairly small, it only takes 20 to 30 minutes to go from beach to the mountains, so I was then taken up to Mount Lofty to see the view from the hills. Very nice!

I'll put some more photos up at the Adelaide Link

No comments: