Thursday, February 14, 2008

PS, I Love You Perth

My favourite holiday of all .... Valentine's Day .... YEAH!!!! There is no one better to spend it with than Don & Sandi in Perth. :)

Today we headed up north along the Sunset Coast Drive, and made our first stop at Mettam's Pool at Marmion Marine Park. It has some of the best snorkelling along the Perth coast. Sadly, the waves were kicking up pretty good, even in the morning, so it wasn't very good at all. That's alright, just hang out on the beach instead. I think I was the only person aged between 2 and 35 years old.

After Mettam's Pool we drove further north to the Quay at Hillary's Boat Harbour, had some lunch, then crossed the street to AQWA (Aquarium of Western Australia). Inside we saw some pretty sweet fish: Sting Rays, Sharks, Jellyfish, Octopus, Turtles, etc etc.


This is a cross between a Sea Horse and Sea Weed. It's known as the Leafy Sea Dragon. Some very good camouflage!


Little did Dad know, but the chameleon-like Donfish was sneaking up behind him! LOOK OUT!


The best part of the tour was the underwater moving walkway. We spent about 30 minutes in here just watching the sharks, turtles and rays. Very cool having a shark swim right towards you. The moving walkway was a little sketchy and we all came down with minor cases of vertigo. For one young boy, it wasn't minor. "Smells like someone just chucked" said one teenage boy passing by. I saw it happen, and it was gross.

One of the grey nurse sharks stalking it's prey.

I thought it would be fun to go pet a crocodile statue..... I then realized it was not a statue at all and the croc chomped down on my arm. Not too much left of the right one, but I always wanted to write with my left hand.

FOUND YOU NEMO!

On the way home we stopped off at City Beach. The sea breeze had kicked in, so the waves were rougher than Mom and Dad had seen yet. The beach was also filled with people under 25 ..... which is always a welcoming sight.
For Valentine's Day we went for a romantic drive to King's Park, which turned into a traffic nightmare. Something was going on in the Park, but there was no where to park, so we parked that idea, and headed to other parts of King's Park .... did I mention we saw Richard Park? The outdoor moonlight cinema was also packed with as the movie "PS, I Love You" was playing. We stood outside the fence but still had an unobstructed view of the cinema for 10 minutes. A Chick Flick times 10.
For more pics from when I went to AQWA in October click here

No comments: