Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Be A Man .... Do The Right Thing!"

Updating from Melbourne. The last couple days have been good. I headed with Claude to watch some pro beach volleyball at South Melbourne beach on Sunday. It was very good. Explored downtown a little. Find out there was another Canadian in my room from Toronto. He used to play OHL for the Mississauga Ice Dogs (i think) and played with Jason Spezza. Don Cherry was the coach for a little as well. He hated him. I didn't impress him by my performance with Scoff's Hockey Shop in Grade 6.

On Monday, I woke up to a great surprise. An early morning Blackhawks vs Canucks game. There is nothing like sleeping in bed listening to the Hawks destroy Vancouver. So good. Then I got up and headed back downtown. Someone gave me this "Free Edge Experience" ticket on top of Eureka Tower. Eureka Tower is the world's tallest residential complex, and I went up to the lookout on the 88th floor. It took about 30 seconds to get to the top, and the guides said it was the fastest elevator in the world. Personally, I found the elevators at BC Hydro to have faster acceleration. Anyway, this Edge Experience thing was absolutely ridiculous. You go into this glass cube, but they tint the windows so you can't see out. They then put on some sound effects and the cube moves out over the "edge". Then a big CRASH (sound effects), and you can see out the glass. Yes it was cool to be able to look straight down, but it wasn't like it was entirely glass. There were beams that made up about 60% of the floor. No cameras were allowed in so that they could take your picture and charge you $15. Sometimes things just get way too touristy, even for a tourist. Seeing the city from above was still pretty cool.

The Edge
Later that evening I met up with Holly (friend from Perth in town for a few days) and a couple of her friends for a night on the town. I think we went to a Chinese, Vietanese, and Malaysian. A great combo!

Today, I'm going to take it pretty easy. Do some washing. Get my gear together for the flight tomorrow to Christchurch. Later tonight, I got tickets to an Indo-Canadian comic named Russell Peters. He is playing about a 3 minute walk from my hostel. Very convenient. Should be a fun night. "Be a Man, Do the Right Thing"

Added a few more pics of The Edge and Eureka tower to the Melbourne Pics

No comments: