Tuesday, March 11, 2008





Day 1
After the exciting trip back to Christchurch, we officially began the tour. By that I mean we drove and drove and drove and drove. So far the South Island is lot like British Columbia and the Yukon. Mountains, oceans, forests …. Etc etc. We had a look at the Southern Options (skydiving, bungy jumping, helicopter rides, etc etc) and had to make our selections. Tough to do on the first day. We stopped in a town with the World’s Largest Jersey. No one was interested enough to actually see it. Then off to a few of the major lakes. Lake Tekapo, Lake Ohau. We spent the night at a lodge on Lake Ohau. There was ping pong, pool, drinks and party time as we all broke the ice. Quite literally. Well not really.
It’s an interesting group of people. It is dominated by English people. Quite a few Americans, Australians, and Brazilians. A couple Japanese, Scots, and Singaporeans. I’m the only Canadian, and I think there is an Austrian.
Day 2
Did I mention long drive??? Well this was another one. Lake Ohau to Milford Sound. About 6 solid hours of driving Yeah! The scenery was quite spectacular, especially the “Homer Tunnel” that we passed through before the quick descent to the Sound (actually a Fjord). We went for an overnight cruise in Milford Sound. The weather was absolutely terrible. Cold, windy and rainy. Although the rain did create some nice waterfalls!!! We went on a little tour of the sound. The fjord was spectacularly breathtaking. We were able to get on kayaks and paddle around. Some people spotted penguins. Since we got soaked from the rain while kayaking, myself, and a few of the girls decided to jump off the boat into the ocean. Let’s just say the water was FREEZING. You don’t realize how fast you can swim until you go in cold water. Fortunately there were showers on board the boat. The luke warm temperature felt like burning.
Day 3
More Driving? You bet ya! We went the same route back from Milford Sound to Queenstown. Another solid 4+ hours of driving. Before actually reaching Queenstown, we stopped at AJ Hackett Bungy jump to cheer the brave souls that went for the first jump. It was quite entertaining. Our Lodge in Queenstown had a wicked hot tub with an even better view. After an evening hot tub session, the group went up the Gondola to overlook of the city for a group dinner. Then followed up the dinner with a dance party at one of the night clubs.
Day 4
No Driving!!! Well just a little. To get to the site of the Routeburn track where several of us went on a 6 hour hike. It was quite fun. There were a couple Canadian girls along the trek to, so everyone bonded well. After the hike, it was more hot tubbing, followed by dinner at the Lodge. Then, it was off to Minus 5. An bar made entirely of ice. I went up and bought my ticket. The ticket was handed to me, and I put it in my wallet so I wouldn’t lose it. The cashier then gave my change back to me, noticed I didn’t have a ticket, and gave me another one. I was then able to pass that on to one of the girls for a free trip into the bar. The bar was cold. Too warm up, we had a dance party at the pub across the street. It got very heated.
Day 5
Today. This morning I decided to go extreme and do something I’ve never done before …..
Horse Back Riding. Myself and two guys from the tour went to a local stable and saddle up. Did someone say Brokeback Mountain … the Thrillogy? “I wish I could quit you”. That was quite fun. I got put in the back of the line and was stuck behind a slow horse that farted. Everytime I got my horse moving fast and trying to pass, the horse in front would cut me off. All day long it was intense battle. I finally passed it, and then the Guide said I had to go to the back. Lame.
That’s all so far for the day. Some of us are planning to go up the gondola again to do some Luging. Then back to the hotel for a party session. I’ve been a bit sick. I think it might have been the freezing cold temperatures of Milford Sound’s water. Tomorrow we leave Queenstown to go to Franz Josef. I’m planning to do a Heli-hike up on the Fox Glacier. After that it is back to Christchurch for a night. I’ll try to get some photos uploaded that day (Thursday night NZ time) from the Xchurch library. Then it’s off to the North Island. I have one friend I went to university with who now lives in Wellington. So I will hopefully get a chance to meet up with her for a little bit.
Boyd Out.

No comments: